FAQ for the “Anything He Wants” series
Are you continuing this series?! (biggest question I get asked)
- YES!!! Yes yes and a million times yes!!! I ended book one (or part 5 if you’ve read the serials) on one doozy of a cliffhanger. Despite my hiatus, I AM continuing the series!!! Contrary to popular opinion, I am a fan of Happy Ever After, I just prefer to make my characters suffer a little beforehand.
You mention “serials”, what is that?
- From the Dictionary.com definition:
anything published, broadcast, etc., in short installments at regular intervals, as a novel appearing in successive issues of a magazine.
Essentially, a serial is one story released in smaller segments. There’s a reason why I love this format so much: it allows me the ability to give readers exactly what they want (more story) AS I FINISH EACH PART. Sure, I could wait until the story is finished and just release the novel, but I came from a fan fiction background where authors give their readers the story in progress. AHW was meant to be an experiment to see if that format could have a wider market, and as such was a wild success!
I am SO CONFUSED as to the reading order for the series!!!
- I totally get this, and apologize for the confusion!
There are (essentially) two ways a reader could have come to this series: 1) You read the serials, or 2) you read the novel. The serials are how the series was originally released, but in November of 2012, St. Martin’s Press released the novel to much wider distribution. The novel is available in paperback format as well as ebook, while the first five serials are only available as ebooks. An easier explanation: if you read a story with a feather on the cover, that was the novel. If there’s skin on the front, that’s the serials.
If you’ve read the novel itself, DISREGARD the first five serials. You have the compiled version in your hand of Anything He Wants parts 1-5; the novel is essentially the same as the serials. While there IS a bonus short story in the novel (feather cover) version of AHW, this was added at the request of the publisher and does not affect the ending of the story in any way. (as in, this isn’t an epilogue that ties the cliffhanger in a neat little bow)
So what is the plan for the series from here on out?
- I did a blog post in February 2013 detailing how I intend to continue the AHW series. It’s easiest to read the post itself for clarification, but essentially I will continue releasing the AHW serials (continuing where we left off at AHW6), then compile what will be the next book into a novel come Summer 2013. No, I do not yet have a date for the novel’s release, but as soon as I have one you’ll be the first to know!!
How many books do you intend to write in this series?
- The AHW series is going to be three books, with either a four book or an offshoot series planned for the future. Saying exactly what that will be would be spoilers, plus the whole deal is still in too early a phase to be certain. I haven’t finished the stories, and have a long way to go before I’m finished torturing my characters. There are so many stories clogging my head, desperate to be written, but I’m committed to this world and its characters; it’s my main objective to get it finished and out to you.
What about foreign rights and translations? Will you be translating the serials themselves?
- I don’t know about the translations. I wish I had a better answer than that, but right now uncertainty is where it stands. As the end of the story looms closer, I’ll be able to nail down dates. My agent is, as we speak, negotiating with the foreign publishers about the release of this sequel. Most publishers like to have the finished copy in their hands however, not just the first quarter or fifth of the novel, before they draft contracts. As soon as I hear anything however, I PROMISE to let you know!
Okay, so the rest of the series will only be released in ebook and serial form from now on?
- NO. I am releasing the serials as a way to get the story out faster to ravenous readers (I’m so flattered by the way!!), but I’m not forgetting the readers who’d rather have a nice thick paperback book in their hand, or prefer not to have everything at once. There WILL be a novel; there WILL be a paperback version of AHW2, there will be a compiled AHW2 ebook. Distribution channels may need to be worked out, but I’m really, really hoping to have the novel ready this summer. While the book might not be in the same stores where you found AHW1, it WILL be out and available on the market. If a publisher agrees to do the distribution, there might be a slight delay past summer but I’ll try my best to mitigate that. I want this story out to you, to everyone who wants to read it, in whatever format you choose. The serials are only one choice; you can skip them entirely and wait for the full story. So please don’t feel pressured into HAVING to get the serials, that’s the last thing I want you to feel.
Did I miss anything? Forget an important piece of information? I won’t provide spoilers for the series but I WILL try and answer any questions you may have!!